On Campus Employment

F-1 Employment Basics and Eligibility

  • F-1 students that maintain a 2.0 GPA or higher and are in legal status are eligible for on-campus employment.
  • F-1 Students are eligible to work on campus for 20 hours a week during the quarter. An F-1 student may, however, work on campus full-time when school is not in session or during the annual vacation. The Seattle Community College District only allows part time employees to work 16 hours per week.
  • F-1 Students are NOT allowed to work off campus without prior approval from a DSO with the IP Office or US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

How to find a job On Campus & How to Apply for a Social Security Number

You will need to have the following documents to apply for a social security card:

  1. Go to the International Programs Office to pick up an On-Campus Employment Form
  2. Find an open position on campus and apply for the job
  3. Once you have been offered a position ask the supervisor to complete the On-Campus Employment Form
  4. Go online to the following website to request an On-Campus Employment Letter. You will need to upload your signed On-Campus Employment Form
  5. You can pick up your letters when you receive an email notification from the IP Office.
  6. Visit the nearest Social Security Administration office to apply for a social security number.
    • The Employment Letter prepared by the Center for International Education Office¬†(Please do not open)
    • Original I-20
    • I-94 card or print off the electronic I-94 -¬†www.cbp.gov/I94
  7. Once you receive your social security card you will need to present the card to your supervisor and to the Registration Office to have the number put into the Student Management System